Tuesday, August 11, 2015

8.11.15

Hello world.  Been working a bit on my overall portfolio in the last few weeks.  I wanted to be able to enlarge some sketches and small paintings that I had given away over the last six months or so, so here's some progress on that.


This one is based off of a sketch I had posted earlier in the year (below!)


It's the same composition and style and everything.  I just really liked it, and I really enjoyed transferring it to paint as well.

Below is one based off of a smaller painting I had given away earlier in the year.  This one I changed a bit from the original; I used masking fluid over the lines of the hair before I did my washes, then when the hair and face was completed, I pulled off the mask and got these nice white lines.  



Much different from this photo below, which I believe I posted on this blog in the past.  I enjoy the white lines a lot on the final above.



And then I just finished another piece today.  I was confused on what I wanted to paint... Having moments like that can be rather frustrating; when you have the drive but not sure to which direction.  So I started looking through some old sketches and books I had made.  I pulled out a very old sketch from September of 2012.  It was a very simple piece about palmistry.  For some reason, the sketch stirred up something and I decided to actually just redo the piece.  Obviously the original painting was too old to show to people as a part of my portfolio, but I'll post it here because I think it's interesting to see.  The one on the right is the one I just completed.  I'm happy with the way it came out, but I think I really want to start working in black and white more.  I'm leaning towards blues and monochromatic because I'm not very fond of lots of bright colors.  But I think the colors on this one, as well as the above two pieces, are very relaxing and likable.

A fun experiment.  Maybe I will do something like this again next week, because seeing these two side by side is fun for me, haha.




No comments:

Post a Comment