Friday, December 19, 2014

12.19.14

I actually almost accidentally typed the year in my title as '2010.'  Then I had a horrible flashback to 2010...

I just made a new art tumblr account.  It has the same url as my old one, I just had to make it a main blog instead of just a side blog.  It's here, if anyone has a tumblr and is interested.  I would really appreciate it if you take a look!

I've been working with ink over the past week.  I have been itching to work in black and white because I prefer working with values in monotone rather than with hues.  This next piece is inspired by an incident at work that I still can't stop thinking about.


At my job I sell minerals and jewelry and fossils and some other strange things.  It was a slow night and as I was showing specimens to a customer, I accidentally knocked over the entire shelf of ocean jasper (oops).  A few moments later, a woman had come in specifically looking for ocean jasper.  It's one of my favorite stones, but it's not a popular one for someone to be frantically looking for.  This customer and her daughter stayed in the store for a while.  The mother showed me on her phone a photo of this jasper piece that she wanted to buy on ebay and had me show her all the ones we had in the store.  I thought it was a weird occurrence for her to be asking for it since I had just previously knocked a bunch of them over.  

As she was browsing, her daughter was looking up on the top of the shelves where we keep a lot of handmade Indonesian puppets.  She asked for me to take one down for her, asked if they had names, any history behind them, etc.  I told her I wasn't sure on the individual pieces, but I let her take a photo of one of their name tags, to which she responded 'I hope the puppet doesn't mind me taking it's photo.'

When I went to put the puppet back up on the shelf, I realized that the puppet next to it was decapitated.  Its head had fallen off and was lying at the front of the case.  It startled me, and I couldn't stop thinking about it for the rest of the night.  It was so bizarre to me that the two items these people had asked for had both had accidents within the hour they were in the store.  It made me nervous, and I couldn't get the puppet's head back on.  So then I started googling them, and they really inspired me.


I went home and wanted to create my own little puppet; a character that I could design.  When I went home, I wrote this:


------------------------------------
sometimes i feel like i spent most of my life as a puppet.
i wasn’t given a choice.  i was given false information as to where my feet should be moving and my head went a different way.  i wasn’t able to control, i was just able to feel.  to feel and to travel to other dimensions inside my head and in the real world that both resulted in nothing.  limitations, borders, and boundaries.  i could only reach as far as my arms would allow.  i could only walk as far as my legs could bear.  i couldn’t break away.  sometimes i still feel this way
when i think
back to how i used to think and the way my brain used to rotate, (like clockwork that was rewound the wrong way, clicking, always with a tick) i feel this way.  always getting something stuck there that wouldn’t leave, and picking at it with a small needle didn’t leave enough of a mark.
when i grew 
older, i realized if i didn’t take control of the strings, anyone 
could
------------------------------------

And then I drew her.  And this painting is the result.  I'm really happy with it.


I keep pulling a lot of inspiration from my job that I've been loathing lately.  But I guess deep down I really am happy I get to spend so much time with all these different energies.  I think it makes me sleepy though, very tiring.

Speaking of energies, here's a bonus photo of my current altar situation.  I'm doing some Yule clean-up, and I was so at peace with how everything was looking last night.



So zen.

No comments:

Post a Comment