Wednesday, November 26, 2014

11.26.14

I just booked my flight!! Everything else that happens today isn't going to be as exciting as my flight being booked!! But I'll write about other stuff anyway.

The past few days, I haven't been to focused on one thing.  I can't focus on just painting, or just studying, or just working.  So I haven't really been able to paint very much.  I'm having some trouble thinking of new ideas.


At the end of last week, I planned out this sketch.  I have a piece currently up in my portfolio that is very similar to this, but part of me really wants to redo it.  Nothing personal against the idea, I just feel as if I could repaint it and make it better than what it is now.  Still debating on doing that though.

I recently found one of my really really old sketchbooks.  To me, art that I did six months ago is considered old.  So this sketchbook from 2011 seems like ancient art.  


The sketchbook had this in it.  And I can remember drawing it and thinking that one day I would want to turn it into a big acrylic painting.  Since I'm not painting in acrylics right now, I decided to turn it into a watercolor piece, but using imagery and symbolism that is more current in my work.  Those hands in the above sketch were a reoccurring theme in my art in that time of my life.  I feel like I grew out of putting them in my work.  So, this is what happened.


I wasn't actually looking at the top sketch while I redrew this.  I always thought that if my sign wasn't an air element, I would love to be a water element sign.  It's hard to capture air, yes?

The upside down triangles are the symbol for the water.  I wanted to keep them like stars as a play on reflection of water and sky, although the reflections are not matched.  

I think this idea still has the potential to be turned into a big paintings someday.  Not any time in the near future though.  Maybe the next time I want to visit old ideas, I'll turn back to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment