Wednesday, March 1, 2017

3.2.17


It's already March, but this is my first post on my blog in 2017!  I've been back in Japan for about seven months now.  In my mind, since I haven't been making portfolio pieces, I feel as if I haven't really created much art since moving back to Japan.  But as I was figuring out what to post, I realized that I've been drawing a lot more than I thought I was, and I've decided to split up my 'what has Julia been doing for the last half a year?' post into two posts.


I've been sketching... a lot.  I won't be posting every single thing I've been drawing, but I will post my favorites.  My sketchbook comes with me everywhere and I'm constantly drawing little doodles all over spare pieces of paper whenever I get a new idea. I think that drawing consistently is important, and I try to draw as much as possible.


When I first got to Japan, I was tossed around a lot.  I went from one hotel to another hotel, to a homestay, to my friend's house, then finally to my apartment.  I didn't actually get to move in until about three weeks after I got to Japan.  It's so difficult to move halfway across the world with many of your clothing and possessions and then live out of suitcases for three weeks.... I remember starting this piece while in my homestay, then finishing it at a friend's house.  I feel like drawing was my way to relax and ease my mind during the stressful move from Ameria to Japan.  Drawing tiny details is meditative to me, and I really enjoyed sketching this piece.


Thinking back on last May/June, I was so mentally drained and exhausted after working on my art for my art show that it took a little while for the ideas to start flowing again.  But whenever I go to a new place, I find it easier to find sparks of creativity.  It's refreshing and motivating to be living in a change of scenery. 



Moons and bunnies for Japan's 月見、or 'moon viewing' in autumn.  For anyone wondering...I brought... part... of my rock collection to Japan.  I miss all the pieces I left at home but it would have been completely impossible to bring them all here.  I worry they're all getting so dusty :(

I think this is one of my favorite sketches I've done since coming back.  I can't really pinpoint why.  Now that I'm looking back on them all, I really want to paint some of them too.  Especially this one.  I wan to paint it.  Really big.






More and more detailed pieces.  I really enjoyed drawing these little acorns.  It seems like forever since I drew these... It's strange how fast time can fly.  The days feel short but the months all feel so long.  I've been keeping busy, and thinking back to before I moved here again seems like a lifetime ago. 



Here's a break from all the sketchbook photos... This is a painting I did for Samhaim / Halloween.  This was the first year in two years I couldn't send out Halloween postcards.. It's something that I really enjoy doing; maybe I will take on that task again for this Halloween. We'll see what happens.

Some moons and mushrooms, photographed during a walk through Meiji Jingu Shrine by Harajuku.

My painting to celebrate Yule this year.  For the winter solstice in Japan, its tradition to bath in a hot bath with ゆず、a type of citrus fruit.  This is said to bring purity and help you not get ill in the following year.  I am a big celebrator of Yule and I was sad to not be able to be reunited with a good friend this year for wassail and delicious foods, but it was also fun to partake in Japanese winter solstice traditions on my own.

Part of this piece was drawn while taking the 新幹線、or bullet train, from Tokyo to Kyoto this January.

Eyes on succulents or eyes on acorns... which do you prefer?
More bunnies.  Whenever I want to draw something anatomical, I really miss the days when I volunteered at the Harvard Museum of Natural History.  It was so wonderful to have so many references so easily accessible.  There's a natural history museum here that I surprisingly haven't been to yet! Even though I've been back for so long, I could still make lists of things I haven't seen yet that I've been wanting to see.  Tokyo is a huge city with so much to offer.  I could live here for years and years and still not see everything.

These two are my most recent sketches.  Both of them were completed very quickly, maybe a little over an hour spent on each.  The one on the left I completed while enjoying matcha at a tea bar, and the fox was a request from a friend.



And here are two bonus photos from my travels! Since moving back to Tokyo, I have traveled to Osaka, Kyoto, and Kanazawa.  The first photo is  金閣寺、Kinkakuji Temple in Kyoto.  The second photo is 兼六園、Kenrokuen Garden, In Kanazawa.  It had been four years since I had been to Osaka or Kyoto so it was nice to visit again.  And this weekend I went to Kanazawa for the first time!  It's very easy to travel around Japan, and I want to take advantage of it as much as I can.  I have plans for another trip in April, and I already can't wait to see where I go after that!



I will be making another post soon with some more art-related photos since this post is already pretty long.  Please look forward to it.  I really enjoy posting my art and my experiences I go through on the internet as a way for me to stay motivated and keep track of what I do.  Thank you all always for your support.



And as always, thank you for reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment